Dying at the hands of a psycho was a shock. Having my life returned to me by an angel was incredible. Being named a Supernatural Treasure and being given Sam as my guard was pretty darn awesome. Acquiring a debt for it all—well, I should have seen it coming.Now here we are, fighting demons from Hell, caring for a boy that I just don’t trust, and traveling to faraway places to return a treasure to its rightful place. Nothing is as it seems. Everyone wears a mask; everyone puts on a charade. It’s up to us to separate the truth from the lies and reality from fiction. A hard task when my new reality involves fallen angels, witches and dragons… and did I mention Hell?Anchoring me down through it all is Sam. Sam, who must face tragedies of his own and is put to the test again and again.If we fail in our task, life as we know it—life as you know it—will end. Forever.
Paperback, 331 pages
Published May 18th 2012 by Otherworld Publications
Five stars! The sequel is even better! Full of surprises and secrets!
For Heven, having her life returned comes with a heavy price. She is the guardian of a secret treasure map that must be returned to the catacombs of Rome. If this scroll falls into the wrong hands, it would mean chaos, war and demons plaguing the Earth. Thankfully, she is not alone in her epic quest. At her side and always her guardian is Sam. Her boyfriend and protector, a boy she loves more than her own life. Together they intend to fight off the demons of Hell and make sure the document is securely placed in Rome. Unfortunately, the demons of Hell have other ideas. Daily it seems, Heven is attacked by demons. Luckily, Sam’s abilities allow him to destroy the demons to dust. As the two prepare for Italy, the stakes are raised higher and higher. When the forces of Heaven and Hell collide, you know it is going to be an epic battle. The question is can Heven and Sam return the scroll and prevent the onslaught?
What I Liked:
- Grab you catching mitt because Cambria Hebert is going to throw some curve balls at you. If you thought she yanked you around in Masquerade, she is back to shock and surprise you with all the twists and reveals in book two Charade. It seems that this time around everyone has some secrets, as if Before everyone was a Charade and now the masks are starting to fall and true colors are bursting forth.
- If you love all things paranormal, this book is full of supernatural beings. This time around there are demons, witches, angels, dragons, shapshifters, dreamwalkers and more. This book is jammed packed with paranormal.
- This book takes you from the calm confines of Grandma’s quiet farm in Portland, Maine to Italy and its wondrous sights from the Coliseum to the Catacombs and then you are plunged into the depths of Hell. Quite the change in scenery.
- Again I was soothed with Ms. Hebert’s gentle, easy flowing writing style and then without warning she socks it to you! Be on your toes when you read a book by this author she knows how to surprise you.
- I loved that this book has layers of depths and numerous storylines. You have Sam battling his dark side trying to maintain control and protect Heven. He is also trying to help Logan find his way and maintain a balance between his brother and his girl. Heven is evolving and growing as well. Last time around she was a bit meek, no more she is coming into her own and learning to fight and stand up to protect those dearest to her heart. At the center is the strong relationship between Heven and Sam, it is lovely! In addition to Sam and Heven’s storyline, there is the thread that follows Logan and his battle to gain control of the darkness within him. He also proves to be a bit of a thorn in Heven’s and Sam’s relationship, but is there more to it? Kimber and Cole return and add their two cents. At the end of Masquerade, there was just a flash of Kimber’s true colors, this time her intentions are revealed. Cole plays a key role in Heven’s life as well. Finally, Gran, rounds out the cast and I still get this niggling that she is hiding something. All of the characters and story lines combine to provide a thrilling, adventurous read.
- I can tell Ms. Hebert has done her research to bring us this one. From the colors of auras and their meaning, to dreams and dreamwalking to the lore of angels, demons, Heaven and Hell.
And The Not So Much:
- The story opens with a bang, a scary assault and then everything settles down a bit and you are lulled along. The plot moves a bit slow in the beginning, but don’t be fooled, during this time, Ms. Hebert is laying down her threads and building the foundation for the upcoming trip to Italy and the exciting revelations that await at the end. Be patient and pay attention, everything little detail has its place.
- This is a personal preference, I wanted a bit more time Italy. I was expecting the book to open and immediately take me to the Italian setting, but we don’t get there until the midway point. Once there, it is a whirlwind and there wasn’t much time to settle in and enjoy the scenery. Don’t worry this is not a bad thing, there is plenty of action and excitement instead of a grand tour.
- I was hoping for a bit more insight into Heven’s mother and their relationship. I can’t go into details here, but there is development but I want to see past the charade and get to the bottom of it. I am curious as to whether their relationship will be salvaged after the events of Masquerade. I am certain that more details are coming in the next book, I just need to be patient.
- A new character, Gemma, is introduced. Gemma is a fallen angel but she is guarded and hides her secrets. I wanted desperately to know more about her. Why she fell from Heaven and what happened to her?
- Finally, the end is a bit of a cliffhanger. You all know how I dread the cliffhanger. This wasn’t too terrible, but it did it’s job. I am know eagerly waiting for the next installment, wondering what is in store for Heven and Sam. Thankfully, the wait won’t be too terrible, as Book Three Tirade should hopefully be out early 2013.
Charade certainly does not disappoint. Ms. Hebert has proven that Masquerade was no fluke. This book has a rich, deep story line as well as fascinating characters who are playing a game of charade with the reader. Can you guess their secrets? In order to find out who is hiding what, you must enter into the pages of this book. Don’t miss this fun and exciting series. You can snag a copy of the prequel, Before on Amazon for free. Both Masquerade and Charade ebooks can be purchased for $2.99 on Amazon. An excellent price for these fun novels!
“It was oddly gray outside and the trees looked black against the sky, making everything appear as though it was a scene from an old black-and-white postcard that has yellowed slightly from age.”
“I was standing in front of him, accepting who I am and exactly what he fought to ignore.”
“You don’t get it. It isn’t part of me. It’s a stranger.”
“He folded his arms around me and I sighed deeply. This is where I fit, where I belonged, everything else was just details.”
“If you cannot breathe, I will breathe for you. If your heart will not beat, mine will beat harder. If you do not live, neither will I.”
“I loved this boy. More than myself. More than life. More than anything.”
“I pretended not to, but pretending something wasn’t wrong didn’t make it go away.”
“Sam. His eyes were like warm sunshine and his mouth was cured up in a smile.”
“Note to self: it is good defense to knee demons in their ‘man parts’.”
“I was afraid that when day arrived and the sun came out, it would shine light into all the shadows from the night before, revealing all that the darkness had hidden.”
“I shook my head. The only thing that hurt was my chest, where my heart used to reside.”
Make sure to stop back by tomorrow for an exciting guest post from the Charade Tour with Cambria Hebert and some chickens!? See you there!