I am excited to be doing another fun read along: Married with Zombies by Jesse Peterson. A big thanks to the lovely hostesses. Here is the schedule:
Week1: Chapters 1-5 (June 1st) - Jen @ In the Closet With a Bibliophile
Week2: Chapters 6-10 (June 8th) - Ashley @ The Bookish Brunette
Week3: Chapters 11-15 (June 15th) - Loretta @ Between the Pages
Week4: Chapters 16-20 (June 22nd) - Tina @ Tina's Book Reviews
Week5: Chapters 21-26 (June 29th) - Missie @ The Unread Reader
You can check out the awesome prize packs on their blogs.
For my posts and pictures, I will be featuring my kids because it is hard to take pictures of yourself with the stuff and second they are cuter.
1. In chapter 2 Sarah has to put her marriage therapist "to rest" with a letter opener. Let's see your weaponized letter opener in mid-action! No letter opener? Think fast! You need to rescue your friend/significant other! What are you going to use when no actual weapons are available? No knives, no guns! Show me what you've got!
Since this scene takes place near a desk, I headed into our den and surveyed what we have for weapons. No fancy letter openers...I am considering getting one now. Never fear there was plenty of handy weapons. First, a stapler could come in handy. They are hard and heavy, you could swing it around like a nun chuck or not. Also slamming it into a zombies face would work. I also found a heavy duty three holed paper punch. This thing is heavy and would pack a walloping hit. In our den, this is the truth we have a replica ninja sword, it isn't sharp, but you can bet your butt if a zombie invaded my den I would grab it and ram it in its eye. My metal dragon would also make a good weapon. It is hard and has some sharp edges.
2. In chapter 2 Sarah is wrestling with Dr. Kelly and David can't seem to find a weapon to help his dear wife with. Until...Sarah yells at him to use something on Dr. Kelly's body, which he grabs and smashes into her head. I want to see your most killer pair of this item!
I know I am totally lame for this, but I do not own a single pair of stilettos. First, I am always afraid of falling on my ass, second, I live in Portland, Oregon. Have you ever visited? The city's motto is: "Keep Portland Weird" and people don't dress up here. Seriously, people run around in their pajamas and other garbs. I own a lot of birkenstocks and such. So improvising here, I would grab my husband's shoes. I have said they are clodhoppers....since I have tripped on the #%*+= things a few times. Whacking a zombie in the head with one of these shoes would certainly knock them on their butts.
3. In chapter 3, Sarah hears an unexpected noise in the bathroom while she's nervously peeing. She grabs "the closest thing there was to a weapon in the room". I want a picture of the same type of item that is closest to you....no soft edges people. They won't do the brain damage necessary to kill the living dead.
I have remarked several times on my blog that having five minutes alone in the bathroom
without someone banging on the door is a vacation. Considering I have two toddlers, I don't get much time alone in the bathroom. I don't keep books or magazines in there because I guarantee, Mateus would probably dump one in the toilet when my back was turned. I took stock of my bathroom, and decided if a zombie was hiding in my shower I would bash its head repeatedly with the sliding glass door, that ought to hurt. For something hard and heavy, how about that lying, heavy, day ruining bathroom scale? A good thump on the head with that thing would work. If per chance the liar scale was damaged, oh well....
4. At the end of chapter 5, Dave gives Sarah a weapon just before they are leaving their apartment to pay a little visit to Jack & Amanda's apartment. Let's see a picture of yours (same type of item).
5. How do you feel about the book up to this point? Any thoughts you want to share?
So far this is a funny book. I love the quirky chapter names and the ongoing feuds between Sarah and David, a couple definitely not experiencing martial bliss. I love the snarky tone as well.
There you have it: my improvised, spur of the moment zombie weapons. It is not too late to join the fun! Grab a copy of Married with Zombies and head to The Bookish Brunette for next week's questions.