Week One August 2nd: Chapters 1-5 hosted byChristy@ Loves Books.
Week Two August 9th: Chapters 6-10 hosted by Lila@ Babbling About Books and Stuff.
Week Three August 16th: Chapters 11-15 hosted by Jen @ In the Closet with a Bibliophile.
Week Four: August 23rd Chapters 16-21 hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings.
August 30th will be the final wrap up with a special guest post by the author herself, Darynda Jones along with the prize announcements.
1. One of my favorite aspects of this book are the witty snippets at the beginning of every chapter. I especially like the t shirt quotes. My favorites are:
Sarcasm. Only one of the services offered.
Do not disturb. Already there.
What is the funniest t-shirt or bumper sticker you have encountered? What t-shirt saying best describes your personality?
I am always on the lookout for great t shirts. Some of the favorites I have run across are: Does Not Play Well With Others, I Tried It At Home, If At First You Don't Succeed Then Maybe You Suck! My Kid Can Beat Up Your Honor Student. Of course there are many more that are too colorful to share on the blog!
As far as a t shirt to describe me, I have to go with Runs with Scissors and Colors Outside the Lines.
2. Charley is constantly helping ghosts throughout the book. Would you like to be able to talk to ghosts and bring closure to their loved ones? How would you feel about all the ghosts popping up at all times day or night? Would you like to have a ghost like Mr. Wong in your house?
I love all the ways that Charley is able to help the ghosts and provide their loved ones some closure and insight. I am sure it is a very rewarding job. Would I like to be able to talk to the dead? Part of me wants to say yes, but then on the other hand I would hate to go around like Charley constantly bombarded day and night with ghosts popping in everywhere. Thanks goodness for cell phones, otherwise everyone would think she is a freak talking to herself all the time. I would also be a bit scared to see all the dead. Now, perhaps if I could just see the occasional ghost and make it s friendly ghost at that, then I would love it. I adore Mr. Wong, he might not be a conversationalist but he makes me laugh!
3. Kim reveals some rather shocking and sad details about Reyes' past. Do you agree with her decision to adhere to her promise and not intervene? Would you be willing to keep your word and let a loved one die if it was their wish?
This is a tough question. It is like a "Do Not Resuscitate Order" it is hard to think of a loved one being in a situation where you could potentially help them and bring them back but knowing it is against their wishes. I guess it would just depend on the situation. If it was me bringing back a loved one for selfish reasons, knowing they would still suffer, then I would have to adhere to their wishes. On the other hand, in Reyes case, having someone who protected me my whole life, I don't think I could be like Kim and not step and save him.
4. In Chapter 19 Charley confronts the bad guy and finds herself in yet another situation where she gets her ass kicked. Do you like the fact that Charley consistently ends up getting her butt handed to her? What are your overall thoughts on Charley?
I am a big fan of kick butt heroines. I do love the fact, though, that Charley does not always kick butt and take names. All her bumps and bruises make me love her even more. She needs a life time supply of bandaids at this rate. I admire the way she jumps head first in a situation without always thinking things through. Aside from her head strong nature and her ghost whispering abilities, I absolutely love her snarky, sarcastic commentary. This girl makes me laugh! She has become one of my favorite female leads of all time!
5. Chapter 20 is a big, hot, smoking chapter. We finally get some answers on Reyes. Does the revelation change your opinion of him? Do you think he can overcome his "nature" and be a good person or is Charley in big trouble?
Whew! Get the fan out! That chapter packed some heat! I was stunned at Reyes admission. Yet, it didn't change the way I felt about him. After witnessing the way he protected Charley and his sister, I can't help but love him. Also knowing that he is fighting against his heritage, trying to be good. I think that Charley will have her hands full with him and I expect some sizzling tension. I am not ruling out Garrett either, he seems to be able to go toe to toe with Charley.
6. Did you enjoy this book? Will you be continuing the series?
Absolutely! I love this series, the snark and funny banter were so much fun. Charley is a great character and I enjoy all the ghosts that pop in and out. You never know what to expect from chapter to chapter. Darynda Jones is an awesome writer. I will be reading and reviewing all three of the subsequent books in this series as well as her new YA title Death and the Girl Next Door! You can read my review for First Grave on the Right here.
Thank you everyone for participating in the read along. I hope you had as much as I did and more than that, I hope you have all become new fans of Darynda Jones. Be sure to come back next week for Darynda's guest post and the winner's announcement! For more on Darynda visit her on her website, blog, twitter, Facebook, Grimlet Street Team and Goodreads.
Link Up and be sure to leave a comment when you add your link:
For those of you looking for your next read along fix...consider the upcoming Charade Read Along. Set aside Mondays in November for this exciting read along and grab your copies now. More information and sign ups coming soon!